(Denison, IA) – Crawford County Memorial Hospital has been notified by the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) that it has successfully completed the categorization and verification process as a Community (Level IV) Trauma Care Facility in Iowa. IDPH notes the verification as a Level IV Trauma Care Facility will be valid for CCMH for three years until 2020.
According to the American College of Surgeons, a Level IV Trauma Center has demonstrated an ability to provide advanced trauma life support (ATLS) prior to transfer of patients to a higher level trauma center. It provides evaluation, stabilization, and diagnostic capabilities for injured patients.
“Achieving categorization and verification as a Level IV Trauma Care Facility is an expectation in providing quality care to patients”, said Bill Bruce, CCMH President and CEO. “Our Emergency and Ambulance departments are to be commended for their work in this accomplishment.”
As a part of their report summary, IDPH offered these comments, among others, about CCMH:
• “Dr. (David) Wright’s involvement as EMS Medical Director and Trauma Medical director provides great oversight and ties together pre-hospital and hospital care.”
• “Hospital-based ER physicians show a commitment to high quality care.”
• “Full time general surgery and orthopedic coverage is wonderful for the community.”
• “Updated facility with 2 trauma bays provides proper emergency readiness for the community.”
• “EMS education and hospital education is robust.”